- WG11. Laboratory of Marine Seismic Reflection and Bathymetry
- LA11. Marine Geology
Coordinator: Pedro Terrinha, IPMA
Working group and line of action consisting of a Laboratory unit for the acquisition, processing and interpretation of marine geophysical data (2D and 3D seismics, magnetics and gravimetry) and their geological integration – from estuaries to abyssal bottoms.
Aims to provide services to C4G partners, the national and international scientific community, the public and the private entities; to offer advanced training; to construct integrated geological and environmental models (geophysical, geochemical) for the characterization of the seabed and subsoil and crustal structure; to map the marine habitat; to assess marine geological risks and resources and; to integrate the international community on deep sea substrate research.
+ DATA & PRODUCTS
- Seismic reflection data
- Bathymetric, backscatter and magnetic data
- Water column sound velocity profiles
- Photo and video from the direct observation of seafloor
- Bathymetric and magnetic grids
- Offshore geological maps
- Geological and lithologic maps of the seabed
- Morpho-tectonic maps of marine areas
- Models of the deep crustal structure and geological boundaries
- (available soon)
- Online database on geophysical data and metadata
- Thematic geological maps of the seabed
- Submarine landslide susceptibility maps
- Marine habitat maps
- Paleo-coastline maps
- Lithospheric database and information
- Pre-proposal submission IODP Gorringe Bank
More sources of marine geology data: EMODnet-geology.
- Ultra high resolution seismic reflection
Acquisition, processing and interpretation.
- Multibeam and backscatter
Acquistition, processing and interpretation.
- Marine magnetic surveys
Acquisition, processing & interpretation.
- Seismic refraction
Processing and interpretation.
- Direct observation of seafloor
High-resolution video aquisition from 0 m to 150 m.
- Identification of areas with potential for the exploration of subsea geo-resources
- High resolution characterization of marine aggregates and placers and assessment of the volume of exploitable material
- Sharing thematic cartography in EMODnet-geology [here]
- (available soon)
- Monitoring of coastal and estuarine sedimentary dynamics.
- Monitoring of active underwater structures (landslides, faults, anthropogenic structures).
- Tailored theoretical and/or practical courses
At the sea, in-house and e-Learning, in the 3 higher cycles in marine curricular areas.
- Advanced formation on interpretation of geophysical data
In-house and e-Learning.
Check more TRAINING available via C4G.
- Ultra-high resolution multichannel seismic reflection spread: 1kJ pps, 24 channels, 200 tips sparker
- Sub-bottom profiler (parametric echosounder)
- Multibeam echosounder+SVP+Positioning system spreads
- STR SeaSpyder Telemetry underwater system, photo and video camera
- Valeport Sound Velocity Sensor & Profiler
Check more EQUIPMENT available via C4G.
- SeisLab – Lab. of marine seismic reflection and bathymetry:
- Workstations for seismic data processing and interpretation
- Radex Pro Seismic Processing software
- Landmark suite software